Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bourbon Boys Pick The SEC Week VIII

ML
I really hate the Red Sox, as I begin typing this it is 7-4, make that 7-6. Nancy Drew just went deep. Come on Wheeler! Anyway, as I try to concentrate on football, I realize the Gators just destroyed the dirty coonasses from LSU. Percy got it going early, and the defense and Jeffrey Demps brought it home. The Gators are right back in the thick of the SEC and National Title race.

CB
Whoa doggie! I don’t want to take anything away from when the Gators beat the Noles, but I must say that whipping up on LSU may be my favorite victory these days. Excuse me, I just saw Curt “the Ankle” Schilling bounce the honorary first pitch to game 5, I’d say he’s probably not in game shape. Anyways, back to football. The Gators are off this week and that is huge for a few reasons. We definitely need to get to full strength before we start this next run of games, UGA is just around the corner, and I’m gonna be out of town this weekend so its nice that I won’t be missing a Gator game! There are some good other SEC games though. I wonder if Vandy is gonna come to play this weekend, same can be said for Ole Miss, and will LSU be able to bounce back from that horribly demoralizing loss at the Swamp last weekend (hehe)?

EGM
What a Saturday! Gators get BOLD with LSU in an absolute thrashing. Rays win in an extra innings thriller (hopefully en route to a World Series birth, fingers crossed). AND I’m back in the driver’s seat in the picks with a 6-0-1 performance. Life doesn’t get much better than that.

Dan Mullen really made me eat my words with that performance. I feel like Bourbon Boys is bulletin board material for him (he’s an avid reader of course). So next time things are down in Gatorland just let the Monkey take the reins of motivation. On to the SEC and perhaps more importantly the Big 12 picks.

Vanderbilt at Georgia (-15), 12:30
CB
Vandy just can’t seem to get to bowl eligible status. I would not be shocked if they lost the rest of their games. Meanwhile, Georgia took care of Phat Phil and the Vols behind an apparently career best performance by Stafford. I have no idea what to expect from Vandy. Do they bounce back and post a strong performance in Athens? Or will they start to realize that they are Vandy, and begin the downward spiral? I’m betting on the spiral.

Vander-flush 10
Jawja 30

ML
Vandy 15
UGLY 28

EGM
Dore (mats) 10
Dawgs 28

Ole Miss at Alabama (-13), 3:30
CB
Well, I’ll be heading to my first ever non-Gator SEC game this weekend. I can’t tell you how relaxing its going to be without a dog in this particular hunt. I can actually watch the game without biting my fingernails off. ANYWAYS, in regards to the game, Ole Miss has one big win this year (against the Gators damnit) and Bama is a different team from week to week. If my memory is correct, Houston Nutt coached teams have done pretty well against Bama recently so hopefully for the Rebs he’ll be able to channel some of that success this weekend. If Bama’s D is as worked up as its been lately, this could get out of hand pretty early. But at the same time, I would not count Jevan Snead and this offense as they are always a threat for the big play.

Ole Miss 17
Bama 28

ML
Rebz 17
Tiiiiiiiiiide 27

EGM
Rebs 21
Tide 17

Arkansas at Kentucky (-8.5), 7
ML
The Hawgs rode the backs of their midget tailback and strong defense to shock the Tigers. They outgained Awbarn by more than 2-1 to garner Petrino his first big victory of the year. The Kats are winless in SEC play, and need a W after getting schooled by SpurDog. I see UK getting their first SEC win and covering easily.

Porkers 14
Meowers 28

CB
Pseudo Kansas 14
Kensucky 23

EGM
Hawgs 21
Cats 20

Mississippi State at Tennessee (-7.5), 7
EGM
I made some rather ruthless comments about watching Miss State playing against Wing T powered Ga Tech. This game will be WORSE to watch than that affair. The Vols are really struggling running the football but look better with Crapton out of there. Both defenses are fairly decent but are often used to long periods of time on the field due to numerous three and outs. Miss State had good luck with the other Vandy at home last week but I think UT is generally better than the Dores and will win this game and cover.

Bulldogs 13
Smokey Dogs 28

ML
Croomers 21
Vowelzzz 20

CB
Mess State 12
UT 30

LSU at South Carolina (+3), 8
EGM
Spurdog may have found something with alcoholic, party-all-the-time QB Stephen Garcia. I’m sure it brings back memories of Sexy Rexy and Douggy J. If Stevie Six Pack can wait on the blitz, then Stevie Visor will be content and many TDs will result.

LSU plays its second tough road game in a row. Generally, their entire team looked like a deer in headlights (except when they took breaks to talk shit after a shoestring tackle to keep a 30 yard gain from becoming a 60 yard gain). I would imagine they will stick with the two QB attack and try to run the ball down the Cocks’ throat. However, I feel like Les Miles’ luck has ran out and Spurdog knows how to take advantage of a situation like that.

Not on the Bayou 21
Cocks 31

ML

CB
LSWho? 31
USC 27

Florida – OFF
CB
My Gad, last weekend was one of the best tailgates we’ve had in a while. Except for the fact that the stupid University frowns on having Kegs at tailgates, it was great. Generally 8pm games drive me crazy, but this weekend joining the Malt Licker and virtual cornucopia of other folks, the hours passed and the beer flowed like water. Anyways, as I said, earlier the Gators killed the Tigers and propelled their ranking from 11 to 5. And while the rankings are huge, dropping a 50 bomb on the Bayou Bengals is a really great feeling. So was talking mock Cajun to the LSU yuppies that were seated near us. Sardonic tones towards opposing fans when winning by huge amounts is so much fun. UK next week…I’m quivering.

Auburn – OFF
ML
Man…could things get any worse in Auburn? A loss by Tommy T to his arch-nemesis, that beady eyed bastard Petrino. They threw in the towel on their OC, and they still have to play WVU, UGA and Bama. At least they have lots of bars to drown their sorrows in…oh wait…they don’t

Kansas at Oklahoma (-20), 3:30
EGM
If ESPN starts to talk about how invincible your team looks, then you might want to watch out. If Scouts Inc picks you to win, then you might as well not show up to the game. If Todd McShay (founder of Scouts Inc) thinks your team is really good, then you should shut down your program.

Okay, that’s my ESPN.com rant. I actually do think Oklahoma is good; however, they had not played a decent team until last week so all comments were a little premature. Just like rankings before November. But this is college football and I guess people need to argue.

As for this game, the Big 12 has some nasty offenses and some stud QBs. But after watching Tejas-Oklahoma I’ve come to realize that there is no defense being played in that conference. I fully expect another shootout in this game. Jay Reesing is a solid player and will easily find targets against a lackluster Sooner secondary but the KU defense will give up too many points in this one.

Jayhawks 24
Sooners 38

ML
Rock Chalk 23
OU 35

CB
Kansasucks 10
Okies Blow 42

Missouri at Texas (-8), 8
CB
Well don’t I just look like an asshole? My friends from Texas came in town to help root on the Gators and I called the UT team overrated and predicted OU to smoke them. After watching a good bit of the Red River Rivalry on Saturday, I can say that I think the Horns are a pretty legit team. However, will my new bandwagon approach backfire and curse Texas? Guess we’ll have to find out. I personally find Missouri very annoying. Their QB is like my height and that’s not an impressive stat. They are total pretenders and I look to Texas to pass all over them.

Mizzou 20
Tejas 30

ML
Chasin’ Tebow 27
Colt 45s 45

EGM
Mizzou 28
Tejas 24

No comments: