Thursday, October 01, 2009

Bourbon Boys Pick The SEC Week V

ML
I don’t know about the rest of you, but my heart is finally out of the pit of my stomach. Watching Timmy knocked out like that scared the living hell out of me. I watched the games with my parents and my Mom kept saying, “look how his head snapped forward,” prompting me to bite her head off. Anyway, I know LSU is a big game, but we should be extra cautious and avoid rushing Tebow back, if he has another concussion shortly after this one it might end his career, not to mention ruin his quality of life. Luckily, our Gators are enjoying a much-needed week off. I hope Johnny Brantley is in the film room and showing his teammates that he can lead them into battle if needed. There are some big games in the SEC this week, so there will be plenty of football to watch

EGM
Back in the editor’s chair this week and feeling quite rested. The 6-3 record ATS doesn’t hurt either. Unfortunately, my colleagues decided to match my brilliance and prevented me from gaining further ground. Did you hear that Tim Tebow sustained a concussion? Yeah, me either.

Cuzzin Bailey
This is Cuzzin Bailey coming to you live from Gainesville, FL. Apparently, and I stress the word apparently, Tim Tebow was injured last weekend. I’m just reiterating this in case you haven’t heard the news. Psychotic fans were rejoicing everywhere this past Saturday as Tim lay on the bluegrass motionless (trust me, I saw that behavior here in ________, Fl). Anyways, that’s all behind me now. UF has a week off so there’s no need for me to go on an anti-Vol, or Tiger, or Dawg tirade at this point. But let me talk about something else that bothers me. When are you considered old enough to complain anonymously about your unruly apartment complex neighbors’ noise? I feel like a crotchety old man. Alright enough of that…here’s a quick rundown of what’s happening in college football: Looks like Sam Bradford is out this weekend, Alabama is good, LSU is not, Auburn is unproven and Lane Kiffin is still an asshole…on to the picks!

October 3, 2009
12:21pm
Alabama at Kentucky (+17)
CB
I wasn’t kidding when I said that Bama is good. They are really showing that the power run game is still a marquee form of offense. McElroy, the Tide QB, is proving that he is much more reliable than JP Wilson from last year, and while they may not come at you and lay down 31 points in the 1st quarter, they will probably put a bigger hurting on the defensive line than UF did. I would look for Alabama running back Ingram to have a big game with over 100 yards and 3 TDs, while the Cats still revel in their teams ability to finally get at Tebow, like it was catnip…

Tiiiiiiiiiiiide 40
Kensucky 3

ML
Rammer 30
Spanktucky 10

EGM
Bamer 31
KY 10

3:30pm
LSU at UGA (-2)
ML
Joe Cox and the Dawgs edged out ASU with a late field goal last week, and Les and the Bengals were lucky to escape Starkville unscathed. LSU is unlikely to look ahead to next week, as they are a slight underdog heading into Athens. It may boil down to Chad Jones vs. A.J. Green. Each player carried their teams to victory last week and the winner of that matchup will be crucial. Coach pRicht’s Bulldogs have been sloppy holding onto the ball this year, which must frustrate the balding coach. Anyone who’s ever seen him work at the Tifton rest stop knows how much values taking care of balls.

LSU 20
Our coach will lick you 17

EGM
Cajuns 17
Dawgs 24

CB
LSYOUSUCK 24
Ugh, a home loss 23


7:00pm
South Carolina State at South Carolina (NL)
EGM
South Carolina State may be a “new state of mind” according to their website but their football program stinks like old potatoes. Drunky Garcia could drink a gallon of Mickey’s Ice and still throw 3 touchys in this one.

HBC Style Bulldogs 3
Cocks 38

ML
Historically Black Bulldogs 3
Cocks 45

CB
Sorth Carolina Stizzle 6
Cocks Blow 40

Ole Miss at Vanderbilt (+9.5)
ML
After losing last Thursday, Houston’s boys had an extra 2 days to lick their wounds and think about the loss to SC. The Jevan Snead Heisman Campaign and the Rebs’ top five status fell victim to the ESPN Thursday night curse. Now they find themselves out of the top 20 and looking to rebound against the Dores. Meanwhile, Vandy finds itself in a familiar position, the bottom of the SEC. They “kept it close” against LSU and Miss. State. You know your program has low expectations when a loss to MSU at home is anything other than an embarrassment.

Miss 28
Vandy 10

EGM
Rebs 37
Dores 13

CB
Ole Miss 31
Vandahbelt 20


7:30pm
Georgia Tech at Mississippi State (+4)
EGM
My comments about Ga Tech’s offense caused some serious backlash from our number one Yellow Jacket reader/supporter. Perhaps, the true revenge came when I was stung about 15 times by Yellow Jackets in my back yard about a month ago. If Georgia Tech had a better defense I would have taken this event as a sign of a possible national championship run.

This year I have much more respect for the Tech wicked running attack. Despite that respect, Miss State appears to be much improved under Mullen and should stay closer than last year…and by closer I mean 8-10 points.

We like to run 28
We like to lose 20

ML
Tech 28
State 20

CB
Smart People in GA? 34
Mess State 20

Arkansas at Texas A&M (+2)
ML
Remember the days of the ol’ South West Conference? Where every coach was crooked and they all ran the wishbone? Now these two teams bring their fancy passing offenses to Jerry Jones’ state of the art new stadium. Did you hear Jerry Jones has a new stadium? Apparently it has a really big scoreboard too. Aren’t you glad I’m here? You probably would not have heard about it. The Aggies are undefeated, but the meat of their schedule starts this week, as they look to gig the hawgs with their spread-read option attack. Coach Petrino, aka “the Soul-less One” needs to bounce back after a big L in Tuscaloosa. If they can eliminate the big play, they should be able to edge the Aggies and make Mr. Jones a happy man.

Sooey 34
Gig-less 20

EGM
Hawgs 28
Ags 24

CB
Abandon Ark 35
Arts & Musicians? 17


7:45pm
Auburn at Tennessee (-2)
CB
I can’t tell you how happy I am that I get to be the one that writes about this game. These are two of my most hated team s in the SEC. But to be legit for a few seconds, I’ll talk about the game. Here are my impressions from looking at the numbers (my favorite way of picking): Looks like Aubs has a pretty good offense and UT has a great defense. It seems as though its possible to score on the Tigers, but are we talking about UT running the football 50 times in order to notch 30+ points? I don’t see that happening. I also don’t see a point in giving the Vuls any cred for home field advantage. They lost to UCLA in Neyland Stadium for God’s sake. I think that UT’s O hasn’t gotten that much better and I further believe that Auburn is better than most folks give them credit for…Here are the two scenarios I envision. 1) Auburn tosses the rock around but makes some costly turnovers early and never recovers as UT pounces on them quick, or 2) The Tigers still play pretty wide open without allowing those TOs and sends the Vols Navy back to their riverside trailer parks a few hours earlier than they expected…hard to root for either occurrence, but since Kiffin is probably the anti-Christ, I’ll “support” Auburn this time only…

Aubbie belongs in a zoo 23
Hate UT 13

ML
Tigers 24
Vols 20

EGM
Plainsmen 24
Vols 13

CB
Florida – OFF
And now I get write about my favorite team in the SEC. Here’s what I have learned in the past week: Regardless about how much folks hate UF and Tim Tebow, I never expected to see and hear celebration when there was a chance he was paralyzed, laying there on the field. It really surprised me. Anyways, with the possibility that TT won’t be cleared for next week’s game, it may be Johnny Brantley time (one year early). I don’t think I’m necessarily worried about his abilities. He’s got a heck of an arm and doesn’t seem like anything on earth bothers him, but its that damn streak of LSU’s that is pissing me off. They haven’t lost a home night game since like 05? That game seems like a time when we would need all our top guys and all of ‘em playing their top game…I guess we’ll just have to see what happens this week if we really need to consider LSU a “test.” Til then, GO GATORS, bury the rest.


Game of the Week

8:00
Oklahoma at Miami (+7.5)
EGM
And reality cometh to my Alma Mater of lesser note. Did Miami fans really think they were going to kick ass in Blacksburg? No one does that, let alone teams that have 250 lbs DTs. Beamer ball and a strong running game were too strong for the Canes. Jacory Harris also looked like the young, erratic QB that he truly is.

Seven and half is always a scary line but I think Vegas is trying to scare people away from Oklahoma. The Sooners have a much improved defense and their offense appears to be clicking again. Landry Jones can sling it around a little and the Sooners big, albeit young OL, should push around the small Miami DL. Demarco Murray and Chris Brown should run wild.

To sum it up, this game won’t be close. The Sooners defense and offense is dramatically better than Va Tech’s. My dog says this is the Bone Cold Lock of the week.

Boomer Sooner 41
Canes 13

ML
Boomer Sooner 34
Down and Coked out 20

CB
Dust Bowl 24
Coke Bowl 27

No comments: